People’s Lobby Background
People’s Lobby Inc. (PLI) has a storied history of proposing, initiating, qualifying, and passing nonpartisan laws that benefit ordinary citizens (www.PeoplesLobby.us). Peoples Lobby was an initiative factory and training grounds for grassroots organizations that believed the words of PLI’s founders, Ed and Joyce Koupal.
“This country runs on laws. If you want to change the country, write its laws.”
Today PLI is using its “initiative” history to build a movement that will introduce and pass the citizen proposed American World Service Corps legislation that will improve the world. To educate enough Americans to pass that legislation, we need your help. People Lobby Education Foundation (501C3) is the educational and research arm of Peoples Lobby Inc. (501C4).
What is the American World Service Corps?
the citizen-initiated, nonpartisan American World Service Corps (AWSC) congressional
proposals were passed into law in the upcoming year, then seven years from now
one million additional Americans (less than 1% of
those aged 20-60) would voluntarily serve their nation at home
or abroad in their choice of the: Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, Habitat for
Humanity, Head Start, Doctors Without Borders, Red Cross, International Rescue
Committee, OxFam, Mercy Corps, State Conservation Corps, etc. The AWSC would not be a large new
bureaucracy. Its small-staffed umbrella
organization would funnel
Upon completion of service, volunteers or their designees would receive:
· Two years of community college plus two years of state college tuition (apx. $17,000), or
· An equivalent amount paid into a Medical Savings or IRA account, as a home down payment, or as tax credits.
· Cash readjustment allowance equivalent to what a Peace Corps volunteer receives. (Apx. $225. per month served)
When passed, the AWSC legislation would be among the most significant legislation passed – and produce the most inspiring results -- in decades.
The AWSC will:
· Reward more Americans with an indelible, practical education in the world’s classroom that dwarfs Ivy Towered learning.
· Build a peaceful, productive army, slightly smaller than our military army, that the 21st century needs to nation build and erases ignorant stereotypes, costly wars, and terrorism.
Implementing the AWSC into law strengthens
· Winning hearts and minds.
· Reducing hatred fired at our soldiers.
· Improving living conditions at home and abroad.
· Giving those who serve a real life education in how the world works.
· Involving Americans in dealing appropriately and directly with global climate change.
· Meshing opportunity and responsibility between AWSC volunteers and those with whom they work.
· Building an army of can-do Americans to handle hurricanes, earthquakes, refugee sufferings, and natural or manmade disasters.
· Serving as a model for other nations to emulate, so that they send their own World Service Corps into the world’s needs.
· Strengthening national pride, cohesion and character, and the AWSC does this without…
Creating a vast new bureaucracy, but instead by strengthening existing governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Details at www.WorldServiceCorps.us.
The key AWSC proposed bill
Publications, Op-Eds, etc. on the WSC
Television, Radio, Audio, Power Point coverage at
A quick five minute video overview http://www.worldservicecorps.us/VTS_01aug0556k.wmv
Peace Conference speech , 9 minutes . 2007.
Influence of People’s Lobby and Peace Corps on American World Service Corps Congressional Proposals or click
Or Goggle “American World Service Corps” at Goggle Video.
Power Point slide shows that provide info on projects as well as economic and policy reasons for implementing AWSC. )
Sponsor of the AWSC legislation is People’s Lobby (501c4) and People’s Lobby Educational Foundation (501c3) at www.PeoplesLobby.us.
How is the AWSC paid for? Traditional, non-traditional and creative revenue streams to finance the AWSC at http://www.worldservicecorps.us/financing_awsc.htm
Commonwealth Club Presentation, July 2006
Commonwealth Club, July 24th radiobroadcast of an hour presentation on People’s Lobby's citizen-initiated proposed congressional legislation.
World Service Corps: Making International Development Personal and Effective
Or this also should begin the audio Complete [54:22].
Or click below.
http://www.commonwealthclub.org/archive/index.php?yearRecording=2006&sort=letter%2CH This may
take you to a program selection page, just click down to
KMTV’s VanDusen Presents the American World Service Corps Congressional Proposals 12-08. 28 minutes.
You Tube “AWSC 21st Century Army” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbaWfRantA 10 minutes
Staffers visited during August 26 – September 1st 2007 D.C. trip http://worldservicecorps.us/staff%20met%20august%2007.htm
How to help http://www.worldservicecorps.us/how_to_help.htm
World Service Corps web site
Events listing at www.WorldServiceCorps.us/events.htm
Questions and Answers on cost and other issues
Support statements from veterans, generals, candidates, including Four Star General Anthony Zinni, Bill Clinton, and others
General Zinni's AWSC video statement http://worldservicecorps.us/zinni%20to%20aucone%2011-06.htm
General Monroe, Retired Commander of California National Guard http://www.worldservicecorps.us/general%20monroe%20statement.htm
Press releases http://www.worldservicecorps.us/press%20releases.htm
Please sign the on-line Petition
You can tell the Obama Biden team about the AWSC at http://change.gov/page/s/ofthepeople
In 1989, we campaigned to obtain a Buck Trust
Grant to establish an American Soviet Peace Corps, which was inspired largely
by my Peace Corps service. The campaign
and writings prompted then Congresswoman Boxer to introduce the proposal as
House Resolution 1807 in the 101st Congress. http://www.worldservicecorps.us/hr1807congress%2031289.htm When the
Want to reduce terrorism, poverty, ignorance, genocide, refugees...? Better handle tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes...?
Raise our nation’s public policy making IQ?
Then you can’t top the return on investment that working to implement People’s Lobby citizen-initiated American World Service Corps Congressional Proposals produces.
Why not donate an hour a month to
build a citizens movement that can introduce and pass
American World Service Corps www.WorldServiceCorps.us
AWSC summary info http://worldservicecorps.us/peoples%20lobby%20has.htm
People's Lobby www.PeoplesLobby.us
Author of "Ordinary People Doing the Extraordinary”